- Extant Textiles
Blue Linen Embroidered Sleeves
The embroidery is based on a 7th Century Persian sleeve and a 5/6th C piece of embroidery that I have been studying at the Victoria and Albert Museum. The border wave design is taken directly from the extant embroidery (see below). The original piece is only 1 1/4“ tall. However, I have made each of the three sections 1” tall to make it easier to embroider. I have changed the colors, from natural, purple, and green. to red, green and yellow. I have also changed the elements on which each color is used. This piece uses wool chain stitch, as in the original. The original piece is listed as Egyptian or Meospotamian from the 5th or 6th Century. It can be found in Frame number 29 at the Victoria and Albert Museum’s Textile Study Room. Gold Linen Dress The gold linen dress (seen below) I am working on is very similar in cut to the blue line dress above, except I did not add the gores to the side, or the front. The gold material was much wider than the blue and it may not be necessary to add gores at all, greatly saving on the time spent sewing ti together. As you can see in the picture I have finished the first sleeve embroidery and finished the edge of that sleeve. The design of this embroidery is purely my own and is based on my newly proposed heraldry ( a green field with purple lotus blossoms within gold roundels). I will be further decorating my heraldry with the gold ivy vines you see here. The lotus blossom design (which I have used purple amethyst stones for here) is based on many 7th C Persian designs I have seen in various silver works. The ivy shape is based off 7th C Persian tapestry held at the V&A Textile Study Room. Cowl This project came about after reading an article on various different silver works and stone carvings that depicts dress in the Sasanian Era. Looking back, I should have done a better interpretation of a cowl, but I let the idea that Persian is different from European and the fact that the depiction does not include a hood actually on the woman's head fool me. I still have no proof that such cowls had attached hoods, but it seems more reasonable to me now that it would have an attached hood that was not up than it not having a hood. It does however look lovely with a turban and veil head covering. This is a a 7th C Persian head scarf and sash set. This set was made for my friend Xorazne. Unfortunately these are the best pictures that I have of this project. This was the first embroidery piece I completed while living in Insulae Draconis and Drachenwald.