Check one off the list

Whew, I've finished the hoods for Thorvaldr and Fiona. My goal is to have these, a pair of robes (for Elgrimr and I), a sew of embroidered gloves and perhaps a headpiece done for Coronet in just a few weeks. If I complete 1 project per week, which is fairly reasonable for the robes but not as reasonable for the embroidery, it can be done! We'll see how that goes. For now I'm just so happy to have one this off the list! :)

The Perfect Shed

Weaving has a lot of jargon, so for readers who are unfamiliar with these terms I'll define shed, so you don't think I'm talking about a building to store things in. :) The Shed  is created by raising some shafts/threads and not raising (or in some cases lowering) others. I weave primarily on countermarche looms, so for the rest of this entry I will refer to raising and lowering shafts.

Cotton

This blog entry is by no means a comprehensive research paper on the use of cotton in any time period. It is a compilation of my recent thoughts on the use of cotton in period and a possible explanation for the common misconception that cotton fabric was not in use in the Middle Ages. I was also recently met with surpise when I discussed cotton as a yarn which was available to some weavers in the Middle Ages.

Silk and cotton a comparison

A friend asked me recently if I ever weave with silk, my initial answer was no. Then I remembered a number of years ago I had woven a set of silk garters (lefg) for a friend and a silk belt on my rigid heddle loom, but it was not fine silk. I have seen a number of lovely silk weavings posted on Weavolution, which inspired me to order some more silk and in a smaller size. Around the same time, I noticed my notes on cotton cloth in the Middle Ages and began looking into organic cotton.

Dyeing to colour

I have log admired those fibre artists who only buy white or natural coloured yarns and dey all the colours they use. I have long said I would never be one of those people...well that might just change. We had to cancel the second half of our spring break plans, after our son was accidentally exposed to a child who had chicken pox. So rather than being out and about this spring break we have been homebound. I have been promising the students from my Raglan dye class 2 other colours and the webmaster of the Cambridge Weavers, Spinners, and Dyers Guild photos of dyeing for the website.

Progress for the sake of accomplishment.

As a working mother, I have to plan the time my son sleeps carefully. I spend every one of his waking minutes with him, unless I'm at work, there's an emergency, or a rare opportunity. Recently, I've been using GTasks to do this. But that's the boring big. My two main weaving goals right now are weaving the cloth bought by a friend and a research paper on cloth in Europe and the Middle East from the 1st to the 14th C.

Cloth Reflections

I recently finsihed weaving 4 meters of commissioned cloth for a friend. Although she does intend to use it for re-enactment, she was not particularly concerned with an authentic weave structure. She had seen what I can only really describe as a tabard on a website and really liked the cloth, which was listed as jacquard. Over the course of many months, I drafted a cloth in a similar style, which resulted in an undulating point twill. I originally used 8 shafts,  then was able to take it to 4 shafts, which  Medieval weavers used.

Pages

Subscribe to Jahanara RSS